Saturday, October 5, 2019

Defenders of Marriage

This week I was reading a commencement address given at BYU by Elder Russell M. Nelson in 2014, called "Disciples of Jesus Christ - Defenders of Marriage". He is now the Prophet of my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He gave so much great advice and counsel that I thought I should finally let my thoughts be heard as he suggested.

I'll start with being honest. I have been afraid for a long time to share what I'm being taught by God about my family and marriage. So, I have kept my blog private for a number of years. I have a number of drafts written that I have never posted because I was too afraid. I sat back silently hoping that someone else would write some of the things I was thinking and feeling. There were some people who did, but they didn't write it the same way I was being taught specific things. I kept hoping that the thought to share what Heavenly Father wanted me to would go away. It hasn't. I still feel the need to share what I'm being taught because I feel like it is important.

Elder Nelson said, "The day is gone when you can be a quiet and comfortable Christian. There is no such thing as a "part-time" disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus invited anyone who wants to be His disciple to take up His cross and follow Him. Are you ready to join the ranks? Or will you be ashamed of the gospel? Will you be ashamed of your Lord and His plan?... Disciples of the Lord are defenders of marriage. We cannot yield. History is not our judge. A secular society is not our judge. God is our judge!"

That line, “God is our judge” keeps going through my mind over and over again. I realized I was more afraid of the world judging me than I was God. But God is my true judge, not our secular society. I can't sit silently on the sidelines cheering on others who are defending what I believe in and not let my voice be heard even if I'm afraid. I need to join the ranks and defend my Lord and His plan. His plan was designed for families. In the Bible in the first chapter of Genesis it says, "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. ...God blessed them, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth,". He designed it for a man and a woman to get married and have children.

Elder Nelson said, "Male and female are created for what they can do and become, together. It takes a man and a woman to bring a child into the world. Mothers and fathers are not interchangeable. Men and women are distinct and complementary. Children deserve to grow up with a mom and dad." I believe this is true. People of the same-sex can't bring a child into the world without the means and aid of someone of the opposite sex. It's simple biology that tells us this truth. I believe marriage between a man and a woman is needed for the continuation of society. 

The law in our society in recent years has tried changing God's law and allowed for people of the same-sex to get married. Justice Alito, one of the justices who didn't agree with the ruling allowing same-sex marriage, said, "“The family is an ancient and universal human institution. Family structure reflects the characteristics of a civilization, and changes in family structure and in the popular understanding of marriage and the family can have profound effects." Elder Nelson attests to this truth about family structure when he said, "Marriage was not created by human judges or legislators. It was not created by lobbyists. Marriage was created by God!" Marriage was ordained by God to be between a man and a woman who would have children. That family structure is universal institution. 

I want my voice to be heard that I stand by God's Prophet, President Russell M. Nelson and by Him, God our Father, who created marriage. To sum up what Alexander Dushku said in a Religious Freedom Annual Review at BYU if we want to continue the discussion for change in our societies we need to make our voices heard. We can speak civilly about our opinions. We need to stand up for what we believe in and not retreat. We need to be tolerant and ask for decency as we in turn do the same for those of opposing beliefs. I'm going to strive more consistently to be an example of my beliefs with others through love and charity for all God's children no matter what. 

I hope you can think of ways you can be a disciple of Christ all the time, and join His ranks. I'm learning that it's good to share what I believe in. I encourage you to stand up for what you believe in and share it with others in a loving way!

No comments:

Post a Comment